In the medical world you will hear terms thrown around like “best practice,” and “research proven,” regarding policies and procedures as they pertain to EBP
Responses to classmates must consist of at least 350 words (not including the greeting and the references), do NOT repeat the same thing your classmate is saying, try to add something of value like a resource, educational information to give to patients, possible bad outcomes associated with the medicines discussed in the case, try to include a sample case you’ve seen at work and discuss how you feel about how that case was handled. Try to use supportive information such as current Tx guidelines, current research related to the treatment, anything that will enhance learning in the online classroom. Evidenced-Based Practice (EBP) is termed properly, being that the application of EBP includes applying information learned from research, which equates to applying evidence to clinical practice. In the medical world you will hear terms thrown around like “best practice,” and “research proven,” regarding policies and procedures as they pertain to EBP. The Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses explains that “EBP integrates the best available evidence to guide nursing care and improve patient outcomes. This helps health practitioners address health care questions with an evaluative and qualitative approach” (2019, para 1). Things shift and change constantly in health care, and though EBP has been surmised to often take many years to be applied in implementation, health care professionals like to hold hope that the speed of application is improving. I have hopes that me and my colleagues will be a part of continuing to improve the rate of executing EBP in clinical practice. In definition Evidence-Based Practice is “…the conscientious use of current best evidence in making decisions about patient care” (Sackett, Straus, Richardson, Rosenberg, & Haynes, 2000, as cited in Mazurek Melnyk & Fineout-Overholt, 2016, p. 3). The culture of my workplace at this moment is really open and I’d guess around 80% of the nurses I work with get excited about new EBP being pushed down the pipeline, where the other 20% are more resistant to change and may exhibit bad attitudes. I will share that this is a huge change from 8-10 years ago, when a lot of the older more experienced nurses, who had more of a learning curve with technology, always had a lot of negative feedback and pushback in general when anything was changed in practice. The problem seemed mostly to be that they were personally connected, with pride, to how they do things. It is a hard pill to swallow, pun intended, to learn that what you have been doing with confidence and pride, all of a sudden, is no longer beat practice. For example, the evolution of Phenergan administration! I work to educate myself the best I can on new research and on new trainings and policy and procedure changes in my workplace as a way to overcome the barriers to executing EBP. In a major way, the actual main thing that I do to is spread positivity when new things roll out that are difficult to implement. I cut people off with encouragement regarding how great the new way will work once we all get used to it, and work to convince them that they should change their negative reactions to the changes as well. Additionally, one thing that we do not do in my work setting is hold weekly, scheduled, paid hours on the clock for in classroom style training on up and coming research – articles, standards of care, etc. I was told by another professor who is an NP at Mayo in Phoenix, AZ that this is a weekly normal, scheduled, paid activity for the Nurse Practitioners at their facility. I know that this wouldn’t be very cost effective on the front end, but I feel that if my facility implemented this – even for just the medical staff – it would save money on quality of care and patient outcomes. References Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses. (2019). Evidence-Based practice. Retrieved from https://www.amsn.org/practice-resources/evidence-based-practice Mazurek Melnyk, B. & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2016) Evidence-based practice in nursing and healthcare: A guide to best practice (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Sackett, D. L., Straus, S., Richardson, W., Rosenberg, W., & Haynes, R. (2000). Evidence-based medicine: How to practice and teach EBM. New York: Churchill Livingstone.
Get FAST homework help. Place a similar order and get a 15% Discount for your first three orders. We have a team of professional tutors to help you with any assignment regardless of the deadline. Contact us for immediate Homework Help.