Read the Mini-case on pages 55-56 in your textbook. After reading through the case and taking notes, you will respond to questions A through R. In addition to your textbook, you should use at least two additional scholarly sources to support your answers.
Use at least three references from outside the course material; one reference must be from EBSCOhost. Text book, lectures, and other materials in the course may be used, but are not counted toward the three reference requirement.
References must come from sources such as scholarly journals found in EBSCOhost or on Google Scholar, government websites and publications, reputable news media (e.g. CNN , The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times) websites and publications, etc. Sources such as Wikis, Yahoo Answers, eHow, blogs, etc. are not acceptable for academic writing.
Assume that you recently graduated and have just reported to work as an investment advisor at the brokerage firm of Balik and Kiefer Inc. One of the firm’s clients is Michelle DellaTorre, a professional tennis player who has just come to the United States from Chile. DellaTorre is a highly ranked tennis player who would like to start a company to produce and market apparel she designs. She also expects to invest substantial amounts of money through Balik and Kiefer. DellaTorre is very bright, and she would like to understand in general terms what will happen to her money. Your boss has developed the following set of questions you must answer to explain the U.S. financial system to DellaTorre.
- Why is corporate finance important to all managers?
- Describe the organizational forms a company might have as it evolves from a start-up to a major corporation. List the advantages and disadvantages of each form.
- How do corporations go public and continue to grow? What are agency problems? What is corporate governance?
- What should be the primary objective of managers?
- Do firms have any responsibilities to society at large?
- Is stock price maximization good or bad for society?
- Should firms behave ethically?
- What three aspects of cash flows affect the value of any investment?
- What are free cash flows?
- What is the weighted average cost of capital?
- How do free cash flows and the weighted average cost of capital interact to determine a firm’s value?
- Who are the providers (savers) and users (borrowers) of capital? How is capital transferred between savers and borrowers?
- What do we call the cost that a borrower must pay to use debt capital? What two components make up the cost of using equity capital? What are the four most fundamental factors that affect the cost of money, or the general level of interest rates, in the economy?
- What are some economic conditions that affect the cost of money?
- What are financial securities? Describe some financial instruments.
- List some financial institutions.
- What are some different types of markets?
- Along what two dimensions can we classify trading procedures?
- What are the differences between market orders and limit orders?
- Explain the differences among dealer-broker networks, alternative trading systems, and registered stock exchanges.
- Briefly explain mortgage securitization and how it contributed to the global economic crisis.
EssayClue is an award-winning assignment help service provider. We have a team of professional tutors to help you with any assignment regardless of the the deadline. Contact us for immediate help.