Length: 2500 words
Submission method options
Alternative submission method
You will present a report covering a strategic analysis of an organisation that you will choose. You are required to select the organisation then undertake the analysis. This work will help you achieve an understanding of the key strategic issues that are likely to influence the performance of the company into the future. These concepts look both externally and internally to the company.
You should also complete the following tasks:
- Describe briefly the background information of the organisation (or Strategic Business Unit – SBU) you have chosen. This should be brief and relevant to your assignment. It may include ownership, history, size, business scope, major products/services, and major markets of the organisation (or SBU) selected.
Conduct external environment analysis including a macro-environment analysis and Porter’s 5 forces analysis:
· Conduct a macro-environment analysis for the entire industry within which the firm (or SBU) operates. Use the PESTEL model and focus on: the understanding of the purpose of this analysis, the identification of key factors impacting on the organisation, the implications of the purpose and the factors in terms of key opportunities and threats, and the discussion of the overall impact of the above on the industry’s prospects for growth or shrinkage in the future. Draw your conclusion based on your macro-environment analysis.
· Undertake a competitive analysis using Porter’s 5 forces model. You are required to pay attention to, the purpose of this analysis, the inter-connectedness of different aspects of the competitive forces, and their overall impact on the industry and the organisation selected in terms of main driving forces in the competitive environment. Draw your conclusions based on your five-force analysis.
- Conduct internal environment analysis. You should identify key resources and competencies of the firm (or SBU) that are likely to provide sustainable competitive advantage.
Summarise your findings based on your external and internal environment analysis. Identify the key issues that the organisation (or SBU) faces and give your recommendations.
In this report, you are required to write a 2500 word report including 200 words as an executive summary – the count excludes references and appendices.
You may select any organisation (local or international) but choose one with enough publicly available information to enable you to address the assessment criteria. If you choose a large organisation e.g. Wesfarmers, make sure you select one of the company’s divisions for your analysis, such as Bunnings or Coles, to make sure your organisation only covers one industry.
While working on this task assume your report will be presented to senior management to inform the strategy team of the key strategic issues facing the organisation.
This assessment aims to address the following learning outcomes:
· LO2: be able to apply and critically analyse strategic management concepts and models;
· LO3: be able to reflect on learning, and integrate prior knowledge and skills, to develop strategic recommendations; and
· LO4: be able to evaluate alternative courses of strategic action to justify choices of select/implement/monitor strategies for organisations.
Remember; you are required to use the APA 6th edition style of referencing and citation – CSU’s referencing tool can assist here https://apps.csu.edu.au/reftool/apa-6 .Those that do not comply with this standard will not be considered to be part of the assignment.
Marking criteria Assignment 2
HD (85% – 100%)
DI (75% – 84%)
CR (65% – 74%)
PS (50% – 64%)
FL (0 – 49%)
- Executive summary (5 marks)
Provides a sophisticated but succinct summary of the report with a clear identification of the critical elements as well as alternatives available both to the organisation as well as the process of th planning plus an explanation as to why with alternatives available.
Provides a comprehensive but succinct summary of the report with a clear identification of the elements critical to the organisation’s future as well as to processes of planning providing an explanation as to why.
Provides an adequate summary of the report structured against the expectations of such a section. The summary identifies the significant aspects addressing what the organisation needs as well as how to do the process of planning but with a limited explanation as to why that is so.
Provides a simple description of what was done and found – little identification of the implications from what was found for the organisation or understanding of the process of planning.
The Executive Summary does not conform to that expected and/or provides a limited description of the content of the report.
- Identification, use, application, and critical analysis of theory. (10 marks) [meets subject LO2]
Concise explanation and critical evaluation of relevant theory identifying reasons to its relevance and alternative ways of undertaking planning articulated. Theory is integrated exceptionally well into argument.
Concise explanation and critical analysis of relevant theory. Theory is integrated and linked well to argument as well as application to the organisation
An explanation of relevant theory. Theory linked to point of view and/or argument and relevance to the organisation identified.
Includes descriptions of the relevant theory and makes attempts to use theory to support point of view and/or argument. Limited application to the organisation.
Relevant theory on the topic missing and/or none/ poor attempt to use theory to support point of view and/or argument.
3 .Critical reflection and discussion. (15 marks) [meets subject LO3, 4]
A sophisticated explanation of agreements/disagreement with the ideas/concepts presented providing reasoning behind those conclusions as well as a process on how to think through issues uncovered within the dynamic organisation being addressed.
A thorough explanation of agreements/disagreement with the ideas/concepts presented providing both reasoning behind those conclusions as well as an identification of options to exploit or overcome opportunities/limitations.
An explanation of agreements/disagreement with the ideas/concepts presented providing reasoning behind those conclusions.
Some attempt at critical/reflective analysis.
Does not demonstrate any attempt at critical/reflective analysis.
4 .Conclusion (5 marks)
Clearly and logically structured conclusions that explain what improvements can be brought for the organisation and process of planning – the argument is succinct and incisive identifying range of options.
Well-constructed and clear conclusion supported by evidence and logically argued – they are insightful in terms of identifying what improvements are critical and which ones have greatest impact.
Conclusions reflect evidence, provide value to the organisation provides a logical reasoning for improving process skills.
Conclusion reflects main arguments in report and link explicitly to the evidence gathered – they address both the needs of the organisation as well as development of process skills.
Conclusion not evident and/or does not relate to evidence gathered and/or not relevant to either the needs of the organisation of development of process skills in planning.
- Reference and Presentation (5 marks)
The argument is logically structured, the argument flows and wording is succinct. An economy of words is achieved with minimal material that contributes little to the argument. 15+ highly relevant refereed journal articles demonstrating insightful research on this topic. A polished and imaginative approach to the topic.
The argument is structured on the basis of logic as well as generates a transparent flow of ideas within the assignment. 10+ very relevant refereed journal articles presented in perfect APA style. Articles used to very good effect in the response.
The argument is structured on the basis of a logical flow of ideas and evidence gathered. 10+ relevant refereed journal articles presented in APA style. Articles used to good effect in the response. Adequate organisation and coherence.
The argument is transparently structured against the task posed. References are appropriate for an assignment (in terms of relevance or academic standing). Approximately 10 relevant resources that are appropriate.
The argument lacks structure, logic and flow. References are either inappropriate for an assignment (in terms of relevance or academic standing) or not appropriately used. <10 relevant sources – many references that are inappropriate or misused will also generate a fail here. .
This is a third year subject and a high standard of presentation is expected for this assignment. The following factors will influence your assessment grade:
- Grammar and syntax; – Clarity and coherence of arguments; – Structure, organisation, sentence and paragraph construction; – In-text citations and end-text referencing (APA 6th)
Succinct, brief writing takes longer than verbose, disorgansed work.
To complete your report for Senior Management you will need to include the following sections:
- Executive Summary 2. Background – Give a brief account of the background of the company/organisation 3. External Analysis – Conduct an analysis of the organisation’s external environment and competitive landscape 4. Internal Analysis – Conduct an analysis of the organization’s internal environment including its resources/capabilities identify the company’s core competencies and resulting ability to outperform competitors 5. Identify and analyse the issues in the internal and external environments and prioritize them in the order you feel are most critical 6. Conclusion – Summarise your findings.
Get FAST homework help. Place a similar order and get a 15% Discount for your first three orders. We have a team of professional tutors to help you with any assignment regardless of the deadline. Contact us for immediate Homework Help.