Please no plagiarism and make sure you are able to access all resource on your own before you bid. One of the references must come from Flamez, B. & Sheperis, C. J. (2015) and/or Sommers-Flanagan, J., & Sommers-Flanagan, R. (2007). APA format also requires headings. Remember to use scholarly research from peer-reviewed articles that is current. I have also attached my assignment rubric so you can see how to make full points. Please follow the instructions to get full credit for the assignment. I need this completed by 01/06/19 at 5pm.
Assignment – Week 6
Top of Form
Treatment options for children and adolescent trauma survivors can include cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and crisis management to reduce anxiety, worry, and fear of repeated trauma. Play therapy is an effective method often used with young children with posttraumatic stress disorder because they often have difficulty dealing with trauma directly. Cases in which a child or adolescent is acting out sexually in response to a sexual trauma or in which he or she may be using drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism as a result of trauma often require additional treatments modalities.
For this Application Assignment, review the media Trauma and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Discussion With John Sommers-Flanagan and Eliana Gil. Consider the symptomology of PTSD and how trauma can affect children and adolescents. Then, select a different type of childhood or adolescent trauma from the one you selected for the Discussion. Consider the posttraumatic stress symptoms that are likely to occur and what type of treatment interventions you might use to treat the child or adolescent. Also, think about how you might support or educate parents or guardians as they attempt to support their child or adolescent.
The assignment (2–3 pages):
· Describe a major trauma or event that may occur to children and/or adolescents.
· Describe three potential symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder that may occur as a result of the major trauma or event, and explain why these symptoms may occur.
· Describe one intervention you might use in treating this type of trauma.
· Justify the selection of your intervention using the Learning Resources and current literature.
· Explain two ways you might educate or support the parents/guardians as they help their child or adolescent through the trauma. Be specific.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
Bottom of Form
Please read and view (where applicable) the following Learning Resources before you complete this week’s assignments.
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of the assigned resources for this week. To view this week’s media resources, please use the streaming media player below.
Accessible player –Downloads– Download Video w/CC Download Audio Download Transcript
- Gil, E., & Rubin, L. (2005). Countertransference play: Informing and enhancing therapist self-awareness through play . International Journal of Play Therapy, 14(2), 87–102.
© 2005 by AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION. Reprinted by permission of AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION via the Copyright Clearance Center.
- Pynoos, R. S., Steinberg, A. M., Layne, C. M., Briggs, E. C., Ostrowski, S. A., & Fairbank, J. A. (2009). DSM-V PTSD diagnostic criteria for children and adolescents: A developmental perspective and recommendations . Journal of Traumatic Stress, 22(5), 391–398.
© 2009 by BLACKWELL PUBLISHING. Reprinted by permission of BLACKWELL PUBLISHING via the Copyright Clearance Center.
- Stover, C. S., Hahn, H., Im, J. Y., & Berkowitz, S. (2010). Agreement of parent and child reports of trauma exposure and symptoms in the early aftermath of a traumatic event. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 2(3), 159–168.
© American Psychological Association Journals. Used with permission from the American Psychological Association via the Copyright Clearance Center.
- Document: Child and Adolescent Counseling Cases
- DSM-5 Bridge Document: Trauma, Stress, and Adjustment
- Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Child and adolescent counseling [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
- “Trauma and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder” (approximately 32 minutes)
- Kiselica, M. S., & Morrill-Richards, M. (2007). Sibling maltreatment: The forgotten abuse. Journal of Counseling & Development, 85(2), 148–160.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
- Mellin, E. A. (2009). Responding to the crisis in children’s mental health: Potential roles for the counseling profession. Journal of Counseling & Development, 87(4), 501–506.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
- Putman, S. E. (2009). The monsters in my head: Posttraumatic stress disorder and the child survivor of sexual abuse. Journal of Counseling & Development, 87(1), 80–89.
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”
· Describe three potential symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder that may occur as a result of the major trauma or event, and explain why these symptoms may occur. was first posted on September 19, 2019 at 7:25 am.
©2019 “Coursework Research”. Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at
Get FAST homework help. Place a similar order and get a 15% Discount for your first three orders. We have a team of professional tutors to help you with any assignment regardless of the deadline. Contact us for immediate Homework Help.